Sauna bath has been used since ancient times. With the passage of time, its trend is increasing, because the benefits of taking steam bath are not one, but many. Even today, it is used to relieve the body from many types of diseases. Here both the advantages of sauna bath and the disadvantages of taking more steam baths are described.
Many people take steam baths to enhance beauty and reduce stress. You can take a steam bath anytime. Not only does it support your skin from within, but taking a steam bath removes your body’s fatigue. This reduces your stress. At the same time, the beauty shines. Many people take steam bath to reduce their body weight. Steam bath is being discussed a lot in modern times, but let us tell you that steam bath is associated with ancient Roman civilization. It is started by the ancient Romans to cure many diseases. There are many benefits of steam bath. With the passage of time, the technique of steam bath has improved a lot. While there are many benefits of steam bath, on the other hand, if you are careless while taking a steam bath, then it can also harm you. If you do not know about steam bath, then let us tell you that it is a steam room, in which the whole room is filled with steam. Its temperature is also kept different according to the place. But usually the temperature of the steam bath is kept at 110°F. Steam baths are mostly taken by gym or spa goers. It has many advantages. From improving blood circulation to relieving joint muscle tension, steam baths are taken.
💻 Table of Content
What is Steam/Sauna Bath ?
Steam bath, this is a special type of bath, in which steam is bathed instead of water. Sauna baths are a form of whole body thermotherapy (hot therapy) that are used in different ways around the world. It is first done in a room with dry air at a temperature of about 80 to 100 °C. People take bath with its steam, that is, the whole body is steamed. For this reason it is called steam bath.
At the same time, during the sauna bath, the room temperature ranges from 80 to 90 ° C, due to which harmful substances are removed from the body through sweat. This can be repeated 1 to 3 times for 5 to 20 minutes. The history of steam baths is linked to the ancient Roman civilization, from where it originated. In ancient times, the Romans invented this technique to get rid of many types of physical problems.
Benefits of Steam/Sauna Bath
People who take steam/sauna bath are also unaware of its benefits. Keeping this in mind, we are mentioning some of the major benefits of sauna bath further in the article.
1. Benefits of Taking Steam Bath to Lose Weight
The benefits of taking a steam bath can also be in weight control. Even though this is hard to believe, but it is true. It is mentioned in a research paper that steam bath can reduce weight. Actually, it can work to reduce weight by increasing the heat in the body .
In a research done on men and women, it was found that there can be a difference in weight after taking steam bath. Their weight decreased due to dehydration during steam bath . Another research also mentions that steam bath can also burn extra calories . In such a situation, it can be believed that it can be helpful to some extent in reducing weight.
2. Benefits of Sauna Bath for Blood Circulation
Sauna or steam bath can be considered a better way to improve blood circulation. According to a research paper present in NCBI (National Center of Biotechnology Information), steam bath can improve the blood circulation of the body . It is believed that when taking steam or sauna bath, the blood vessels of the body dilate, which reduces blood pressure .
3. To relieve stiffness of joints
Sauna bath can prove to be beneficial in relieving joint stiffness. According to research, steam bath relaxes the muscles. In addition, it can reduce pain, swelling and stiffness caused by arthritis in the joints as well as spinal arthritis. Seen in this way, it can prove to be very beneficial for all the discomforts related to joints, not just stiffness.
4. Benefits of Taking Steam Bath to Improve Immunity
The benefits of taking a steam bath can be seen in improving immunity. According to research, taking a steam bath or a sauna bath increases the body temperature. This increases the activity of monocytes (white blood cells). These cells eliminate bacteria and remove dead tissue. In addition, monocytes and neutrophils (types of white blood cells) may protect the body from harmful microbes as well as improve the immune system .
5. Sauna Bath Beneficial in relieving stress
There are benefits of taking a steam bath to relieve stress. This special bath can be beneficial in relieving stress and relaxing the body as well as removing oxidative stress of the body. Also, this bath can reduce anxiety and depression, which will help in getting good sleep. On this basis, it can be said that the benefits of sauna bath can be seen under stress.
6. Aids in Blood Pressure Control
Steam bath can prove to be a better option to overcome the problem of blood pressure. According to research, when a person takes a steam bath, blood pressure increases due to exposure to hot and after some time taking a sauna bath, there is a decrease in blood pressure. According to another research, regular sauna bath can reduce the risk of high blood pressure. In such a situation, it can be believed that the benefits of taking a steam bath can be beneficial in blood pressure control.
7. Muscle Pain Relief
A sauna bath can be relaxing to relieve muscle pain. A study published in the Journal of Clinical Medicine Research found that taking a steam bath or sauna therapy after a workout increases blood flow, which can reduce muscle pain .
According to research published on NCBI, then sauna bath can be beneficial in relieving muscle pain that occurs after exercise . Another study reported that steam therapy may also be helpful in relieving muscle pain.
8. Sauna Bath Improves Respiratory Function
Sauna bath can be beneficial for the respiratory system. According to a research paper, sauna baths can be helpful in improving mood and quality of life by enhancing the cardiovascular, respiratory and immune systems. According to NCBI, sauna bath can reduce the risk of respiratory diseases. In such a situation, it can be believed that the benefits of sauna bath can be seen in the respiratory process.
9. Benefits of Sauna Bath for Skin
Steam bath is also beneficial for the skin. Steam bath reduces the sebum of the skin, which can get rid of the problem of oily skin . If another study is to be believed, a warm bath i.e steam opens the pores of the skin, which can deeply cleanse the skin and also flushes out harmful bacteria that damage the skin .
In addition, it can also help to remove toxins from the skin. Research paper states that steam can also be helpful in regenerating the skin. This is the reason why steam bath is considered good for the skin.
Side Effects of Steam/Sauna Bath
Steam baths can be beneficial if taken carefully, but can also be harmful if taken carelessly. Actually, it is recommended to do sauna bath for 20 to 25 minutes only. It has been told in the research paper that if someone takes a sauna bath for 40 minutes, then he can have many physical problems. In such a situation, look ahead at the harm caused by taking a sauna bath without being careful.
- Before taking a steam or sauna bath, one thing must be kept in mind that taking a bath for a long time can burn the skin and cause blisters due to the hot temperature.
- There is a risk of sudden death due to taking a sauna bath for a long time.
- Steam or sauna bath should not be taken after consuming alcohol, it can increase blood pressure, which can be harmful to health.
- This bath can also be harmful for people suffering from heart and high blood pressure problems. This can increase the heart rate and there is a possibility of sudden heart attack and heart disease .
- If the woman is pregnant, be aware that prolonged steam or sauna baths can be harmful to the unborn baby.
- Before taking steam or sauna bath, cover the delicate parts with a towel, otherwise harmful effects like blisters can be seen on the skin there .
- Using other people’s towels and soap during the bath can put you at risk of infection.
- Sitting in the steam bath for a long time or any carelessness in following the given instructions can lead to skin infections and allergies. In some severe cases, it can even lead to death .
In this article, you have learned what are the benefits of taking steam bath. If some things are not taken care of while taking a sauna bath, then there can be disadvantages of taking a steam bath. If you liked the information related to Steam Bath, then you can also take advantage of it by keeping special things in mind. Keep in mind that if there is any kind of health problem, then definitely consult a doctor before taking steam bath.
Rules Of Steam/Sauna Room
Rule No. 1- Never take a steam bath wearing jewelry.
Rule No. 2 – Eat less food before taking a steam bath.
Rule No 3 – Always carry a towel with you.
Rule No 4 – Take a bath after taking a steam bath.
Rule No 5 – Drink more water.
Rule No 6 – Never take a steam bath by applying scented oil or perfume.
Rule No 7 – Do not take a steam bath for a long time.
Rule No 8 – After taking steam bath, let the body temperature become normal.
Rule No 9 – Don’t wear too many clothes.
Rule No 10 – If you are sick, take a steam bath only on the advice of a doctor.
Precautions while taking Steam/Sauna bath
For those who take a steam bath carefully or under the supervision of an expert, it is very beneficial for them. If you are going to take a steam bath, you need to take some special precautions. like-
- Never take a steam bath for too long. This can burn your skin, causing blisters to form all over your body.
- Do not consume alcohol before taking a steam bath. Taking a steam bath after consuming alcohol can increase your body’s blood pressure, which is harmful for you.
- Pregnant women need to take special precautions while taking steam bath. Because it can harm their baby.
- Keep the delicate part of your body covered while taking a steam bath, as it can burn your delicate part.
- Do not use soap or other’s towels during the steam bath. This increases the risk of spreading the infection.
Types of Saunas and their Benefits
In addition to the famous Finnish sauna, there is a Turkish (hammam), salt and infrared. Each of them has features, uniqueness, advantages.
1). Finnish sauna
Finnish sauna is a favorite pastime for Finns and not only. The organization has gained popularity in many countries around the world more than 70 years ago.
According to the device, the sauna is similar to the Russian bath. It consists of a separate room with a dressing room, a stove, a steam room with shelves.
At low humidity (10-15%) at high temperatures (up to 110 degrees) there is a significant difference.
Watering the heater with water is also not accepted, since the combination of high temperature and humidity is hazardous to health. The steam room is decorated with wood from the inside. Hardwoods are more suitable, as conifers can burn by releasing resin. The sauna has a swimming pool.
The action of the Finnish sauna is to warm the body until sweating. Along with this, the body is freed from pollution and toxins through open pores. Metabolic reactions begin, up to 2 liters of water are released at once, which is useful for dealing with excess weight.
Benefits of Finnish Sauna:
- Due to the temperature difference, the cardiovascular system hardens;
- increases immunity, as a result, there is an increase in resistance to viruses and microbes;
- Visiting the institute strengthens health, calms nerves, improves mood.
2). Turkish Sauna (Hamam)
The Turkish Sauna is a spacious room with underfloor heating, a vaulted ceiling and heated marble deck chairs. Steam is supplied from the steam generator through special openings in the walls. The floor is heated by an elaborate system of pipes laid under it, and a vaulted ceiling is needed because of the possibility of burning from hot condensate.
Benefits of Turkish Sauna:
- Mild temperature- 35-55 degrees and high humidity – 70-100%.
- Luxurious interior. Lack of trees. Ceramic tiles, smalt, mosaics, heat-resistant glass, marble have been used in the decoration.
- Transition from the steam room to the cooler room, then to the rest room, and then to the soap department.
- Combination of warming and cleansing with application.
- Use of aromatherapy. Unlike dry saunas, hammam steam does not dry out the skin and hair. It gently warms, tones blood vessels, heart, relieves muscle and joint pain. quick recovery from injury. Contemplation of the interior removes from the outside world, relaxes, calms.
3). salt sauna
Salt sauna is considered to be the most beneficial for health. The wall decoration is made of healing bars, the stove is surrounded by wooden mesh to prevent water splashes on the panels. Average temperature – 50 degrees, humidity – 30%. A comfortable environment allows you to breathe ionized air for 20-25 minutes at a time.
Benefits of salt sauna:
- Salt vapor has a therapeutic disinfecting effect on patients with bronchopulmonary diseases. Breathing becomes deeper, heart contraction returns to normal. Sauna is useful for smokers, the frequency and duration of coughing attacks are reduced.
- Minerals in the composition of Himalayan salt contribute to the rapid healing of wounds, cleanse the skin from rashes.
- The composition of the blood improves, its acidity decreases. The water-salt balance of the body is restored.
- The steam room produces a positive cosmetic effect. After leaving the skin becomes clean, moisturized and silky.
4). Infrared sauna
Became popular recently, not more than 10 years ago. It can be found in beauty salons and reputable medical centers. The difference from other types of institutions, where the heating of the body surface occurs due to hot steam, is the effect of electromagnetic radiation on the body that penetrates under the skin to a depth of 4 cm.
A sauna with an emitter is a small cabin where infrared radiation enters the body from under the seats. The walls are made of cedar wood. The released phytoncides have an additional healing effect. If weight loss occurs due to water extraction in a steam sauna, electromagnetic radiation can burn fat. Sweat removes more toxins and waste, but less water than other similar installations.
Frequently asked Questions(FAQ)
1.Is steam bath harmful to the lungs?
No, sauna i.e. steam bath is not harmful for the lungs, but keep in mind that people who have respiratory problems should avoid taking steam bath .
2.What should we do after steam bath?
- The benefits of taking a steam bath are many, which have been discussed in the article, but after taking a steam bath, it is also necessary to take care of some things.
- After taking a steam bath, you should definitely take a bath with normal water.
- If you are taking steam bath for the first time, then how much and when to take bath. Be sure to ask an expert about it.
- Avoid going to the steam room if the body temperature is high for some reason.
- If there is a health problem, do not take a steam bath without asking the doctor.